New Year in Berlin 2023 | Top 12 Things to Do, Events, Parties & More!
Berlin, the capital and one of the most festive cities in Germany is one of Europe’s most sought-after holiday destinations. The city that boasts of its politically significant history also has a great cultural backdrop and party scene to be proud of. New Year’s in Berlin is all about festive decor, fireworks, and parties. The city brims with Christmas markets, light shows, DJ parties, cultural events, and live music and dance performances around New Year. Here is a list of the best things to do and everything else you need to know to spend this New Year in Berlin.
Weather in Berlin during New Year’s Eve
Average Temp: 1.5 °C
- Highest Temp: 2 °C
- Lowest Temp: 1 °C
Chances of Rain: The skies stay cloudy almost all day with expected showers and maybe some snowfall.
What to Wear: It is recommended to wear thick waterproof jackets or hoodies, neck scarves, gloves, thick socks, and comfortable walking shoes or boots to stay comfortable in Berlin for New Year.
What to look out for: As there is a high chance of rain and snowfall in Berlin around New Year, it is best you carry an umbrella or a poncho when stepping out.
Top 12 Things to do on New Year in Berlin
1. Celebrate New Year At The Citadel
Spend New Year’s Eve at the magically lit-up Spandau Citadel, brimming with fun activities and shows to entertain people of all ages.
- Celebrations at the Citadel start in the afternoon with ice skating, face painting, games, prizes, holiday treats, live entertainment, and fireworks.
- Join the Silvesterzauber Zitadelle New Year’s Eve Party in the evening with 8 DJs across 4 dance floors, Swede Sensation’s ABBA concert, and more fireworks.
2. Join The Countdown At Brandenburger Tor
Head to Brandenburger Tor, Berlin to join one of Europe’s biggest open-air New Year’s Eve parties, featuring festive lighting, food trucks, DJs, spectacular light shows, live entertainment shows, brilliant fireworks, and more!
- Join the largest crowd in Berlin for the countdown to New Year and watch the city’s most spectacular fireworks.
- Popular artists like DJ Bobo, Bonnie Tyler, and Eagle Eye Cherry will be performing at the ‘Silvesterparty am Brandenburger Tor’ this year.
3. Witness A Sensational Fireworks Display
Riverbanks, bridges, rooftops, and streets crowd up to watch the skies of Berlin get brilliantly lit up with sensational fireworks at the stroke of midnight on New Year’s Eve.
- Watch the fireworks across the Spree, from the sides of the river, or one of the bridges - Moltkebrücke, Oberbaumbrücke, or Monumentenbrücke.
- Head to the top of the Great Müggelberg, Teufelsberg, or Ahrensfeld Mountains to enjoy unobstructed panoramic views of the city’s fireworks from a height.
4. Visit A Christmas Market
Berlin cherishes its Christmas magic till the eve of New Year at the WeihnachtsZauber Gendarmenmarkt, with handicrafts, festive food, choirs, dances, stilt angels, and artistic performances.
- This year’s market is held at the historic Bebelplatz, surrounded by the State Opera building and St. Hedwig’s Cathedral, glowing with fairy lights.
- The closing ceremony is celebrated on New Year’s Eve with a party and spectacular fireworks.
5. Cruise The Waters Of Berlin
Watch the midnight fireworks from the waters of Spree, Havel, or Müggelsee while cruising over in a boat or partying on a ship on New Year’s Eve.
- Admire Berlin’s decorated skyline and witness the city’s festivities from a unique perspective while on a cruise.
- Party on a festively decorated ship, cruising the Havel or Spree, with a buffet, midnight toast, and spectacular fireworks.
6. Visit The TV Tower
One of the best places to be for New Year’s Eve is atop the Berlin TV Tower, overlooking the city’s celebrations, the waters, and the fireworks.
- Dine at the revolving restaurant or have a few drinks at the observation deck, while enjoying the best panoramic city views.
- Join the Ocean’s 22 New Year’s Eve party happening right below the Berlin TV Tower.
7. Visit A Museum
Most museums in Berlin are open throughout the year with some of them offering free access on New Year’s Day as it is the first Sunday of the month!
- Learn more about pre-war and post-war life in Berlin by visiting the Sachsenhausen Museum, the DDR Museum, and the Berlin Wall Museum.
- Learn about the history and evolution of foreign espionage, cracking codes, and hacking secrets at the German Spy Museum
8. Go On A Retreat
The Village Berlin invites men from the community to the Eros New Year's Retreat, where they can find a connection with their true selves and their sexualities.
- Emerge as a new person this New Year through meditation, movement, and sensual exercises guided by Michael Rolnick and Jochen Stechmann.
- The 5-day retreat at Village Berlin includes a New Year party with music, dance, and dinner.
9. Participate In A Group Run
Get sporty this New Year and join over 3,000 runners of different ages, at one of Berlin’s annual running events, with various distance and route options to choose from.
- Put on a costume and choose to run along a route of 2.4 to 10.6 kilometers on the eve of New Year.
- Go on a 4-km run from the Brandenburg Gate to the Berlin Cathedral and back, at noon on New Year’s Day.
10. Take Your Kids To A Circus
Watch stories and acts unfold as magicians, acrobats, and costumed artists fly, dance, and play tricks on a brilliantly lit-up stage with colorful props and projections.
- Witness breathtaking acrobatics by Gravity & Other Myths at the ‘Out of Chaos’ show on New Year’s Eve.
- Marvel at the animal holograms, clownery, magic, and top-class artistry at the 18th Roncalli Christmas Circus on New Year’s Day.
11. Have A Fun Day With Kids
Watch your kids play, learn, and explore new things at the various amusement parks and family attractions in Berlin, as you create wonderful memories this New Year.
- Explore the marine world at AquaDom and SEA LIFE where you can find 5000 aquatic creatures in 37 naturalistic freshwater and saltwater pools.
- Tour the Lego factory, build things in the indoor park, admire the Lego miniatures of Berlin’s landmarks, and visit Ninjago City at the Legoland Discovery Centre in Berlin.
12. Attend A Concert Or Live Show
Berlin has plenty of cultural events including classical music concerts, operettas, and ballets happening around New Year’s at various venues across the city. Do attend one to experience the city’s rich cultural scene.
- The Berlin Residence Orchestra will be performing some of the finest works of Mozart and Johann Strauss at the Charlottenburg Palace Orangerie on New Year’s Eve.
- Witness a grand visual feast of dance, music, costumes, and lights on the largest stage in the world at Palast Berlin’s ARISE Grand Show.
Parties & Events on New Year’s Eve in Berlin
Hippie New Year at Ritter Butzke
Groove all night to the tracks mixed by popular DJs such as Bebetta, Super Flu, Oliver Schories, Marc Romboy, Niconé, Dominik Eulberg, and more, along with live music by Marek Hemmann and Joachim Pastor at the Hippie New Year Party at Club Ritter Butzke.
Location: Ritterstraße 24-27, 10969 Berlin, Germany | Find on mapKnow more
Berlin’s Biggest Indoor NYE Party at Kulturbrauerei
Party at 8 different clubs and 13 different floors with a single entry ticket! Join the biggest indoor New Year’s Eve Party in Berlin with 30 different DJs and a live band playing all kinds of music from pop and 80s - 90s to electronic music and hip-hop.
Location: Schönhauser Allee 36, 10435 Berlin, Germany | Find on mapKnow more
Party at the Rooftop Over Berlin
Head to the Weeknd Club this New Year’s Eve to join the Rooftop Over Berlin party and enjoy the unobstructed views of the fireworks. Party above the city till 7 in the morning with Harris, Raclezz, Rokit, Alex Gallus, Matchless, Rios, and Miguelinbeatz behind the deck.
Location: House of Weekend, Alexanderstraße 7, 10178 Berlin, Germany | Find on mapKnow more
80s & 90s Party at the Trabrennbahn
Go back in time, at the Big 80s & 90s New Year’s Eve Party at the Trabrennbahn Karlshorst. The party is all set to play some of the best tracks from the last generation amidst drinks, a laser show, a confetti rain, and some brilliant fireworks!
Location: Treskowallee 159, 10318 Berlin, Germany | Find on map
Get ready to be visually and acoustically transported to a different world at Berlin’s Annual New Year’s Eve psychedelic music & arts festival - ODYSSEE. The 19th edition of the event features scores of artists including DJ Osho, Ace Ventura, Krosis, Ectogasmics, and Fele.
Location: Landsberger Allee 77, 10249 Berlin, Germany | Find on mapKnow more
New Year’s Eve at Matrix
Spend the last night of the year at Matrix where every night is party night. The biggest Matrix party of the year is happening across 4 floors with DJs SizMo, R2V, Litro Bolton, Bionic, Da Silva, and Le Trace, along with MCs Big Steve and Caramel mixing up beats all night.
Location: Warschauer Pl. 18, 10245 Berlin, Germany | Find on mapKnow more
Berlin’s Longest New Year Party at Renate
Start partying the night before New Year’s Eve and go on till the morning after New Year’s Day! The Renate New Year’s Marathon is all about 60 hours of non-stop Techno, Disco, and House music played by some of the most popular DJs.
Location: Alt-Stralau 70, 10245 Berlin, Germany | Find on map
Berlin Techno’s NYE RAVE Party
Head to ASeven Club this New Year’s Eve and join the NYE RAVE Party by Berlin Techno featuring Freulein P, Dachgeschoss b2b Schmitzkatzki, A.N.A.L. (Alles Nur Aus Liebe), Microdizko, Mayze, and Kenny.
Location: Alexanderstraße 7, 10178 Berlin, Germany | Find on map
Plan Your New Year Eve in Berlin
U-Bahn: The U-Bahn underground rail system operates 24 hours on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day with a reduced frequency of 30 minutes.
S-Bahn: On the 31st of December and the 1st of January, the S-Bahn rail system runs all day with a frequency of 10 – 20 minutes and then every 30 minutes all night.
Metro: Metro trains in Berlin run every 10 minutes until 8 P.M. and every 30 minutes after that until 7 A.M.
Bus: Buses function as per the usual weekend/holiday schedule for New Year’s, where bus lines marked with an ‘N’ offer 24-hour service.
Tram: Trams also function as per the usual weekend/holiday schedule for New Year’s. However, note that trams only operate in the eastern part of the city.
Taxi: Metered taxis are available throughout the city at all hours during the holidays.
New Year’s Eve Dinner:
New Year’s Day Brunch:
Price per night for 2 guests in a room
- Mercure Hotel Berlin City West: from $67
- ibis Berlin City West: from $90
- Sheraton Berlin Grand Hotel Esplanade: from $253
- Courtyard by Marriott Berlin City Center: from $256
- Mövenpick Hotel Berlin Am Potsdamer Platz: from $290
- Schlosshotel Berlin by Patrick Hellmann: from $450
- The Ritz-Carlton Berlin: from $585
- Rocco Forte Hotel De Rome: from $755
Tips for celebrating New Year's Eve in Berlin
- If you wish to join the celebrations at Brandenburger Tor, you may want to get there a few hours early as it can get very crowded closer to midnight.
- Don’t worry about having to drive back home drunk after a New Year’s Eve party as public transport and taxis are very much available in Berlin all night.
- Be a little careful while walking the streets as the public might be bursting firecrackers.
- Many hotels in Berlin may ask you to book the place for a minimum period of 2 - 3 days during this time of the year.
- Food and accommodation may be comparatively more expensive around New Year.
- You may need to make reservations well in advance for tables at restaurants with special festive buffets or set menus.
- Do carry cash with you as most establishments in Berlin are still cash-only.
- Do book your New Year party and event tickets well in advance as they sell out soon.
Frequently Asked Questions About Celebrating New Year in Berlin
Some of the best things to do in Berlin on New Year are to watch the fireworks, party at a pub, go on a boat cruise, attend cultural events, enjoy a good meal, and visit a museum or the Berlin TV Tower.
Kids can enjoy a trip to AquaDom and SEA LIFE or Legoland Discovery Centre for a full day of fun. You may also take your kids to a circus show, watch the fireworks, or join a costumed group run. The celebrations at the Weihnachtszauber am Gendarmenmarkt, Spandau Citadel, and Brandenburger Tor are also kid-friendly.
Most places in Berlin are moderately crowded during New Year. Clubs hosting parties, and the Brandenburger Tor tend to be very crowded on New Year’s Eve.
Berlin is generally safe during New Year. Although, be a little careful while walking the streets as the public might be bursting firecrackers.
Renate hosts Berlin’s longest New Year party, while Berlin’s biggest indoor NYE Party happens at Kulturbrauerei. The Rooftop Over Berlin party at the House of Weekend offers the best views of the fireworks, and ODYSSEE 2023 is known for the uniquely sensual experience it offers. Berlin Techno’s NYE RAVE Party, the Big 80s & 90s Party at the Trabrennbahn, and the New Year’s Eve parties at Matrix and Ritter Butzke are some of the other popular ones to check out.
The fireworks across the Spree are best seen from the sides of the river and the bridges - Moltkebrücke, Oberbaumbrücke, and Monumentenbrücke. Head to the top of the Great Müggelberg, Teufelsberg, or Ahrensfeld Mountains to enjoy unobstructed panoramic views of the city’s fireworks from a height.
It is winter in December in Berlin with the average temperature ranging from 1 °C to 2 °C, with rains and some snowfall expected around New Year.
Yes, all means of public transport are available as usual in Berlin on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day, following the Sunday/holiday timetable.
The Mercure Hotel Berlin City West, Hotel Berlin Mitte By Campanile, ibis Berlin City West, and Mercure Hotel & Residenz Berlin Checkpoint Charlie are some of the most economical places to stay in Berlin for the New Year. On a mid-range budget, you can stay at the Sheraton Berlin Grand Hotel Esplanade, the Courtyard by Marriott Berlin City Center, or the Mövenpick Hotel Berlin Am Potsdamer Platz. More luxurious options include Schlosshotel Berlin by Patrick Hellmann, The Ritz-Carlton Berlin, Waldorf Astoria Berlin by Hilton, and the Rocco Forte Hotel De Rome.
The Grand Restaurant, RIVO Spreeterrassen, Restaurant Wilhelm, NENI Berlin, Frederick's, Spindler, and Clärchens Ballhaus serve special NYE dinner menus, whileCafe Morgenland, Geist im Glas, and Restaurant ALvis serve the best New Year brunches.
The Kulturbrauerei, ALICE Rooftop & Garden, Watergate, Kater Blau, Ritter Butzke, ASeven Club, Pawn Dot Com Bar, Alte Münze, Schloss Milkersdorf, Bunter Bahnhof, Klunkerkranich, Monkey Bar, INSOMNIA, Badehaus, Maxxim Club, Sharlie Cheen Bar, Lido, and The Pearl are some of the best clubs and pubs to visit for New Year in Berlin.
Berlin can be chilly, rainy, and snowy in December. Hence, you should wear thick waterproof jackets or hoodies, neck scarves, gloves, thick socks, and comfortable walking shoes or boots to stay comfortable.
Most shops and public places may close in the afternoon on the 31st of December to prepare for the night. Clubs and restaurants stay open late into the night on New Year’s Eve, and all day on the 1st of January. Most museums and public places also stay open on New Year’s Day.